Thursday, April 27, 2006

Everybody in?

As to the blog title. Apparently, my grandpa was a big fan of a camp song entitled "Lollipop." Sang it all the time. Today, my dad quoted a line from the song in reference to my current job situation: "When you come to the end of a lollypop, and sit all alone with the stick, ick, ick." The line echoed in my head all night as I was writing cover letters. It's a good thing I don't know the melody.

When you put that line context with the other "lyrics" (if you will), it's really rather profound.

It’s a lick upon a stick,
Guaranteed to make you sick,
Lollipop for me.

When you come to the end of a lollipop,
And sit alone with the stick, ick, ick.
When you think of the one in the candy shop,
Of which you would like a lick, ick, ick.
When you think what the end of a lollipop,
Can mean for a tired tongue, ung, ung.
When your lollipop is all sucked and gone,
And you long for another one, un, un.

I'm trying to keep the employment parallel in mind, but thoughts immediately stray toward...other parallels. Either way, it is a wistful song that does not belong on a schoolbus or in the mess hall. It belongs here, with me and my melancholy weblog.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home